Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Stirling

Default How do I know it's Argon filled glass?

Grunff wrote:
Fatboise wrote:
When the windows were installed in my new house all the the windows came
with a sticker advertising that they were argon filled which is what I
ordered and cost more. All the windows except a window at the front of
the house that needed supports to be put in before the joiners could
come back and measure up. When the new window arrived I noticed that
there was no "argon" stickers on the glass. Is there any way of telling
what the gap is filled with, I assume if I ask the company who made them
they'll say it's whatever I ordered??

Given some time in the lab, you could probably do it by measuring the
speed of sound through that window compared with a known argon-filled
identical window.

I suspect spectroscopy could also get you there, or focussing a laser
beam through the glass, to make an ionised spot, and doing spectra on
that.

However, it's not worth doing, because argon fill makes only the tiniest
difference in terms of window performance anyway.

I don't understand why CO2 isn't used.
Slowly reacts with aluminium in the presence of water?