Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

Default Replacing fuses with MCB's

wrote:

The only reason for replacing the fuses with MCBs was to make it a bit
more up to date so that if I did sell up the next person wouldn't have
to call out a Lektrishun to replace a fuse.

I would have thought if you were going to replace it, it would only be
worth doing if you were going to upgrade the whole thing so that you
could have some form of split load affair to give you RCD protection on
sockets etc, and to make sure all the equipotential bonding is up to
scratch (since you can almost guarantee that will be a comment on a
survey if not to current standards). You make life much simpler with
obtaining suitable MCBs etc if you choose a current model of CU rather
than sticking with one that uses bespoke parts that may be in short supply.

It would give you the chance to split existing circuits or add new ones
where appropriate (like a dedicated ring circuit for the kitchen perhaps)

You could also design in a few extra nice touches like battery
maintained emergency light close to the CU that is powered from the same
MCB as the lighting circuit that usually illuminates the CU - that way
if the circuit trips you can still see what you are doing to reset it.

--
Cheers,

John.

http://www.internode.co.uk |