Posted to alt.home.repair
Mike Annetts

Default Siding Installation In The Winter Months

Hello I did it for a living in Edmonton Alberta-quite often in close to 30
below weather. we actually lost less days to weather in the winter than the
summer because of rain. Put a metal cutting blade in your skilsaw and it
will melt its way through in no time. we had a sliding table set up to cut
it with but for one job it is not really necessary. the trim is the trick
part. Easiest way is to use offset metal snips(red) and just before you cut
the trim piece let it warm up in you bare hand for about five seconds or so.
It takes in the heat fast enough that it won't crack. Installing the sheets
themselves were no problem but like the one guy said allow a little room
more that usual for expansion as it is already in its contracted state. One
trick we used to keep our hands warm was to have a halogen light on both
ends of the wall so that after a nailing run you can you hold your hands
near the lights for a quick warm up. also I used those little packs you put
in your gloves to warm them up (hot packs I guess they call them). As always
hang it don't nail the siding.

email if you have any questions. by the way I froze my ass off enough that
I got out of the business and now teach industrial arts.

Mike
"Bgreer5050" wrote in message
om...

What are the mechanical drawbacks, if any, to installing Vinyl siding in
cold weather (20-30 Deg F.) ?