Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen

Default Replacing fuses with MCB's

On 17 Jan 2006 13:54:14 -0800 someone who may be
wrote this:-

The pictures I've seen of MCBs seem to just clip onto a support bar and
have a screw terminal at each side for wires. If they screw to a buss
bar I'd only expect to see one screw terminal for the output to the
ring or spur or whatever.

While there is a copper busbar in consumer units, MCBs have a screw
terminal at each side. One terminal is screwed onto the busbar, the
other takes the circuit wires. The module clips onto a rail, but the
electrical connections are made by screw terminals.

I suspect that a unit that old will not take modern MCBs and MEM
don't have any replacements available (check with their web site for
what is currently available). Should you wish to replace your
existing rewirable fuses, you will need to replace the whole
consumer unit. Personally I would not do this unless there were
pressing reasons, like a need for extra circuits or something like
old age making rewiring fuses more difficult. More importantly, the
existing wiring should be tested, using the right equipment, to make
sure it is still sound.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh