Posted to alt.home.repair
Bill Gill

Default Asphalt tile removal

wrote:
On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 08:21:58 -0600, Bill Gill
wrote:

I am taking up the carpet in my house and going back to
the original hardwood. The original hardwood is in
pretty good shape. But! When I took the carpet out of
the coat closet I found that at one time or another
somebody put down some ugly green asphalt tile in it. I
tried lifting a piece and it looks like I can get the
tile up fairly easy. But then there will be that black
mastic left on the floor. Is there any good way to get
that stuff up so I can do something with the floor?

Thanks for any help.

Bill Gill

Having worked for a flooring company for several years, you already
did the hard part, getting the tiles off.

Ignore the comments about asbestos. You said ASPHALT tile, not vinyl
asbestos, correct?
Yes, I know you did, because it was glued with asphalt tile adhesive.
Basically TAR.

However, I hate to tell you this. You will never get all that tar off
and be able to get a decent looking wood floor. It's between the
boards and will gum up every sandpaper and spread like crazy. You are
lucky though. It's just a closet. Put new vinyl or tile on it and
refisish your other floors. It's just a closet, it dont need to
match. Besides you can always get some woodgrain vinyl that will
match, and put a metal bar across the doorway to prevent kicking up
the edge of the new vinyl. If you MUST have a finished hardwood, you
may as well replace the boards in that closet. But in my opinion,
thats too much work for a mere closet

Thanks for the information. I was kind of afraid that
was what would happen. My fall back idea was to do just
what you suggested. I will try to find a wood grain
vinyl tile that will be a fairly close match to the
floor and put the trim strip across the door.

Bill Gill