Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim S

Default DIY Laser Level

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 03:11:02 -0800, Kev wrote:

wrote:
Just wondering over what sort of distance one of the diy laser levels
will work? I need to check a level over a couple of hundred feet and
suspect that it wouldn't be powerful enough but assume that I could do
it in stages by laying out some sort of peg system.

Kevin

Is the distance too great to consider a U-Tube that is made of
normal Wine making type poly tube. I've used this method from inside
to the outside of a house with the tube going out of a window. As long
as you keep any rises below the two ends you wont have a problem. You
can also colour the water with red or blue ink. Remember, both ends
must be open to atmosphere when in use.

Chris.

That method was going to be my fall back but it looks as though the
laser level might do it.

Kevin

If you use the tube method, I recommend getting some with a bigger bore,
about 1cm or a bit bigger. I tried this with 5mm bore tub and it's a
sod getting the air bubbles out.

Although it's not massively accurate (depends how closely to can sight the
meniscus onto what you are marking) it has the advantage it works without
much degradation over moderate distances.

Cheers

Tim