Posted to rec.woodworking
stoutman

Default Best wood for long shelves

"Murray Peterson" wrote in message
"todd" wrote in
:

For the sheet goods, on average, plywood would be the best, then
particle board, then MDF for initial sag.

I'm a bit unclear on how you're going to build the shelf as a hollow
box. If you're going to go to that much trouble, and then include a
steel angle, I'd suggest just doubling up on the wood for the shelf.
Two of the 3/4" glued-up pine boards would deflect only about 3/32 at
the middle under a distributed 70 pound load (assuming a shelf depth
of 12").

You can get an estimate of sag using the Sagulator at
http://www.woodworkersweb.com/sagulator.htm.

Are the sagulator numbers good for long-term loading, or just initial
deflection? My experience with purchased bookshelves has been poor --
shelves that progressively sag more as the years go by.

BTW, the loading is not distributed -- almost all of the weight is pretty
close to centered.

--
Murray Peterson

From the sagulator: "The Sagulator computes initial sag only. As an
engineering rule of thumb, wood beams/shelves will sag an additional 50%
over time beyond the initial deflection induced by the load."

--
Stoutman
http://home.triad.rr.com/brianmeliss...ing_frames.htm