Posted to rec.woodworking
Lew Hodgett

Default Best wood for long shelves

Murray Peterson wrote:
I am building a 6 foot long shelf that is going to be supported at the ends
(no option of support in the middle). The shelf needs to support about 50-
70 pounds of weight (stereo equipment), so the "sag" (or deflection) in the
center is going to be a problem. I plan on building the shelf as a hollow
box, and using steel angle iron on the inside as a stiffener.

Just out of curiosity -- what commonly available wood product is best for
resisting deflection under a continuous load (i.e. shelving)? The easily
available ones at my local lumber store a laminated pine, mdf, playwood
and particle board, I am assuming that the laminated pine would be best,
since all the grain is running longitudinally. Is my assumption correct?

If you are interested, can tell you how to build this shelf using foam,
knitted fiber glass and epoxy along with the basic wooden shelf that is
say 3/4" thick.

It would probably support at leat 200 lbs, weigh maybe 10 lbs max.

Contact me off list if interested.

Lew