Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT

Default How often should a gas furnace cycle?

Tony wrote:

I just had a new furnace and AC installed. The job was done very well. The
new furnace is a two stage that puts out 84,000 BTU at the high stage. I
live in a two story home that's 22 years old in the Mid-Atlantic area. Home
is reasonably well constructed: basement, no noticeable drafts, well
insulated, approx 2300 sq.ft. With the thermostat set to 67F and the current
temp outside of ~40F, the furnace is cycling about 3-4 times per hour to
maintain the inside temp. What I can't tell yet is whether it's cycling
entirely in first stage only, or going to the second stage. Having said that
does it seem like this is a correct rate for cycling?

Sounds ok to me, as long as they're normal cycles (as opposed to
e.g. shutting down due to the furnace limit switch). What's _really_
bothering you?