Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Default Replacing the switch on my Delta jointer

Toller wrote:
The switch on my Delta 6" jointer fused closed. I pulled it out to see if I
could free it up, and it just fell apart in pieces.

Yeah, Delta switches are right on the verge of garbage.

Perhaps part of the the problem is that it is a 12a switch and the (3/4hp)
motor is 13a.

Anyhow, a replacement is $21, and probably just as substandard as the old
one.
What would happen if I replaced it with a 20a toggle switch. Would it hold
up, or would the starting current fry it? Any cheaper and more readily
available (and more durable) alternatives to the Delta switch?

By cheaper do you mean; more cheaply made OR less expensive to you?

The only motor switch I have laying around is for 1/2hp motors; oh well.

Your only option is to buy something new. Plain 20amp lighting switches
are not rated for motors. There are a buncha' options out there, The
best one would be to go to an electrical supply house and see what kind
of switches they have in stock for commercial / industrial motors. You
need a sealed switch. Sparks and dry sawdust do not mix. A standard
lighting switch works fine on the wall, but down in the cabinet of a
saw is a different environment.

Tom in KY, be careful with your a$$ and it will stay around a lot
longer. Maybe you should spend the $21 and if it all goes wrong, then
you can sue Delta and we can all get better switches.