Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

Default Problem with Schlage door lock

"Nosmo King" wrote in message
Hi. I have recently developed a problem with a couple of Schlage locksets
on
my external doors. The spring loaded latch will not automatically
retract
when the door is being closed. I have taken it apart and do not see
anything
obviously wrong.

My door is equipped with a separate double cylinder deadbolt and the
residential knob/lever set. The round keyed knob is on the outside, and
the
lever handle is on the inside. The lever handle is not keyed, but has the
small piece you turn to lock/unlock the door.

When you try to close the door, the latch piece does not retract and the
door
will not close. You have to turn the knob/lever to get the latch to
retract,
in order to close the door.

Any suggestions for troubleshooting ?

Thanks.

Same problem on more than one door, after they've both worked properly in
the past?