Posted to alt.home.repair
herlihyboy

Default New Water Heater Breaker Box

I currently have fuse box with two 30 amp fuses in it. It keeps
blowing a fuse [always the right side] and lately, has been blowing
them almost weekly. My father-in-law thinks it may be sediment
build-up and the bottom element needs to be changed out.

I'm going to try this first. However, I'd like to also upgrade and put
a standard breaker box in instead. I have a separate meter/service
dedicated to the hot water heater. It's a 50 gallon heater. An
electrician said they typically put in a 30 amp breaker for this size
water heater.

Does this sound right to you all? Any other advice would be
appreciated. I'll have public utility turn off the service before I do
the work. I'm also getting estimates on having an electrician do the
work. If it's reasonable [so far, between $100 and $150], I'll
probably have them do it. Not because I'm not able, but because I'm
not as familiar with codes on this sort of work.

TIA,

Ryan