Posted to rec.woodworking
Morris Dovey

Default Need help fixing up a large butcher block table

doityourself (in
) said:

| I dont know why they tossed it.. this is new york city, people throw
| valuable stuff out here all the time, in fact i make a few bucks
| every now and again picking this stuff up, fixing it and re-selling
| it on craigslist. My guess is that some restaurant/deli went out of
| business and left it behind. The good news is it doesnt smell.

Good news indeed! Still, I think I'd be leery of using it as is in
/my/ kitchen.

| youre right about needing to level it for a game table. To level
| this thing though I would need a serious belt sander and hours of
| toil.

Wrong tool, I think. It'd be easy to build a jig to mill the top down
with a router - probably about a 15-20 minute job with a 1/2" straight
bit (less with something like a dish bit).

| Does anyone know if these things are worth anythng? Id spend the
| time if i could turn a profit. I saw similar things for sale on the
| net for $800-900 new.

They're worth whatever someone is willing to pay. Got a good sales
pitch ready?

| Do you reckon I can clean it thoroughly with mineral spirit/paint
| thinner?

It's probable that the stains have penetrated to a significant depth,
solvents might remove grease and oils from the surface; but I doubt
they'd do much more than that.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar