Posted to rec.woodworking
CC

Default How to fix a cracked corner of an MDF shelf?

"John B" wrote in message
miamicuse wrote:
The corner of a shelf is cracked after accidentally dropping on a tile
floor. Now it looks like this:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-...okencorner.JPG

how can I fix this? Should I cut off the broken end and use wood filler
and
sand to original shape or is there a better way?

MC

Looking at the photo, I would cut a spline the width of the slot, wrap it in
wax paper. Glue the damaged
area with tite bond glue then insert the spline in the slot and clamp till
dry. Remove the spline .
The particle board, melamine, should glue back ok from the picture of the
damage,
If the surface is damaged, repair with a wax stick of the appropriate color,
or if you can, turn shelf
over and use other side for the top, if they are identical.
CC