Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Marlow

Default nitrocellulose lacquer over stain

tdevery wrote in message news

I would like to spray nitrocellulose lacquer over Oil stain. Any
compatability
issues?
The stain is now 24 hrs dry. Thanks

No problems. Most high end guitars are finished exactly this way. Just
know that nitro does not harden for a really long time and can "rub up" a
little bit with use. It's not a problem in any way, but don't be alarmed if
you encounter it. I had an electric guitar custom made a while ago and it
was nitro finished. I used to get a little gumming on the neck after
playing it for a while. The gumming rubbed off with a dry rag and all was
well, but it is a characteristic of nitro. After a while this went away, as
the nitro cured completely.

--

-Mike-