Posted to rec.woodworking

Default nitrocellulose lacquer over stain

If used car finishes on furniture, and I've also sprayed a dozen cars
with lacquer. The general principle is that the "hottest" finish cannot
be on top.

Lacquer (and Lacq thinner) are the hottest finishes around and will
"lift" compounds under it if they are less volatile.

One way around this is to spray a sealer first, let dry thoroughly, and
then use the lacquer. I would try this on a piece of scap wood.

Incompatible finishes might look OK for weeks and then begin to checker
or peel.

Gary Curtis