Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos

Default repairing stripped threads with JB Weld

"Emmo" wrote in message
news
I have stripped out the threads in a 1/4" bolt hole in an aluminum
transmission case. I can't get a drill in there to be able to use a
heli-coil type of insert, and I have decided to use JB Weld to repair this
as the bolt that goes into this stripped hole just locates a bracket which
is held on securely by another, larger bolt. I haven't used JB Weld
before,
but I am confident this is an appropriate situation to try it...

I checked out the website where it tells me to clean with acetone, no
problem. My question is how to proceed from there, assuming that I want

be able to remove and replace the bolt after it cures.

Do I just force the epoxy mix into the hole and then jam the bolt in ? Or
should I coat the bolt with oil so the JB Weld doesn't bond to it? I am
worried that if I don't do something, when I unbolt the bolt, it might

pull
the whole wad of epoxy out instead of unscrewing.

I don't think you'll have any luck with that idea. The tensile strength of
the epoxy is far less than needed, even if you used a good release agent and
could get the bolt out afterwards. You wouldn't be able to tighten the
connection well enough to do any good without pulling the threads again.
You're sort of stuck. There's lots of things you can do to repair the
thread, but you'll have to have access to the hole with at least hand tools
to accomplish them.

Harold