Chris Harris

Default Extractor fan emptying into chimney stack

How does a liner help prevent a build up of grease?
Do you mean a liner for the whole flue or just for the opening where you
will put the fan.

Yes the whole length.
Apparently if there is a special liner off the brick walls you are less
likely to get a chimney fire. The liner is non flammable and grease
build-up in it is less like to cause a house fire. So our architect told
us.

I have to agree with DG, I don't see how a liner will prevent any build up
of grease, not even a teflon coated one!. I plan on using a good quality
filtered hood to prevent the grease getting into the chimney. I haven't
chosen one yet so don't ask what one :-)

However I finding it hard to find information online about
which extractor will be suitable. All sites seem to selling fully
integrated (into a cupboard), or with chimney hoods, but we don't need

hood as we are keeping the chimney breast as a feature. We want a

powerful
one as this will be a living area too.

I plan on using a hood

We would have to remove the chimney breast and put in a concrete head to
support the fireplace above or remove it the full length of the house. We
would then have to run a vent 16' to the nearest outside wall, so venting

up
the chimney makes a lot of sense. I would like to make a feature out of

it
like this kitchen from Arena:
http://www.arena-kitchens.co.uk/rang...winchester.htm

My chimney doesn't have a recessed fire place like that one, but is flat
faced with just a hole where the old Rayburn flue entered about 2m above
floor level so fitting a hood is not a problem for me.

It looks to me as if you could adapt one of those cooker hoods that fit into
the wall units of an off the shelf fitted kitchen. Make sure that the fan
and motor box will fit inside the chimney, make a custom filter box and
shove the whole thing up inside.