Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

Default Fix/Replace bath tub drain -- doesn't stay open

On 20 Dec 2005 09:02:56 -0800, "Alex" wrote:

Hi everyone,

In my 25 year old home the bath tub has a drain where it's controlled

What they said, plus my 26 year old bath tub went through this 2 or 3
years ago. I thought it was misadjusted with the tubular stopper that
is down the hole behind the "switch" faceplate, but that wasn't it.

The spring that is basically part of the faceplate had rusted thin and
weak. All you probably need is a new 25cent spring. However, I
couldn't find one, even in the spring section of Ace hardware and
maybe one other store.

But I disassemble every thing before I throw it away and save every
spring etc. I have 3 8-oz containers from margerine fiilled with
springs. I didn't have the perfect one either, but the one that was a
little lighter and narrower did the job for the last 3 years.

I'm keeeping my eyes open and I expect fo find another some where in
the next 21 years, in time for this one to break.

Or you can buy the whole switch/lever assembly. $5? $8? Not sure.

by a switch on the front/inside of the tub. It's gotten where even
when the switch is moved to open the drain will slowly close in about 5
seconds. Is it possible to either repair the drain switch or replace
it all together with one of those pop stoppers or even a plastic
stopper?

Thanks --

Sam

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let