Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Safe wood for kitchen utensils

bynot wrote:
I'm trying to find information on which woods are safe to make kitchen
utensils out of & which woods should be avoided.
I tried google and didn't have very good luck. Any help would be greatly
appreciated. TIA

On one of the _Woodwright Shoppe_ episodes Roy visited with a
spoonmaker who made spoons from a variety of woods including
poison ivy vine.

Generally speaking, you probably should NOT use poison ivy vine, nor
any of the woods with a reputation for toxicity or alergic reactions.

So, woods to avoid would be black walnut, most of the tropical exotics
especially cocobola and rosewoods, redwood, cedars, etc. Probably
most softwoods, being resinous, would at least tend to add some
undesireable flavors to the food.

Woods that have been commonly used for kitchen utensiils include
orchard woods like apple or pearwood, and also olive, maple,
cottonwood,
beech, birch, cherry.

Probably it would be best to avoid porous woods like red oak.

--

FF