Posted to alt.home.repair
David Efflandt

Default Setting steam boiler pressure cutoff

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 18:03:31 GMT, Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"JKevorkian" wrote in message
However, one thing concerns me:
The pressure gauge on the boiler reads around 4-7 lbs when it's really
humming since we've had this cold spell, and I think the cutoff switch
isn't
adjusted correctly. The boiler never exceeded 2 lbs. back in the days
before
things started wearing out on the unit.
Can anyone enlighten me as to the proper adjustment procedure for the
steam
pressure cutoff?

Most boilers operate in the range you have it, or a little lower. Maximum
is usually 10 pounds, the safety low off is usually set at 15 pounds
pressure. Higher pressure means more heat is being carries to the
radiators. If 2 lbs. worked, set it back to that range.

Ouch! The PressureTrol on Most steam boilers should be set per another
reply with 0.5 psi cut-in and 1 psi rising differential cut-out (or if it
does not go down to 0.5 it may be a control that you set to 2 psi cut-out
and 1 psi decreasing differential cut-in). In other words it should
operate between 0.5 and 1.5 psi (not more than about 2 psi). Systems with
a Vaporstat run even lower (in ounces of pressure).

Most steam radiator air vents only work well up to 1.5 to 2 psi. Any
pressure higher than that just makes the steam heavier, slower, and less
efficient (costs more money).

If your pigtail was plugged, your pressure gauge might be too. When I
bought my home, the steam pressure was cranked way up (causing loud
hissing of air vents), a snubber on the pressure gauge was blocked, but
the gauge itself was stuck (would not go to zero when removed). Since I
replaced the gauge and set the pressure as low as it goes, it has worked
perfectly.