Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Al A.

Default Attaching Shotgun ribs...

Gary wrote:
In the past they were all silver soldered. Quite a difficult task on a
side by side double as the barrels were also silver soldered together
and trying to add a rib was likely to cause the barrels to come
unstuck. Back when I was involved in gunsmithing George Hoenig of
Boise Idaho was the only gunsmith in the U.S. skilled enough to do that
sort of job. He built multibarrel shotgun/rifles from scratch. Now he
builds $30,000.00 shotguns of his own design.
With the current technological improvements in adhesives you might get
away with some sort of epoxy especially with a nylon or lexan rib. If
you suceed in your efforts you might well have a product you could
market if the price wern't too high. You don't have much to lose by
trying on inexpensive single bbl guns so have fun with it. Good luck.
73 Gary

Thanks, Gary. I am thinking that I will likely make the rib from steel
(metalworking content!) as that gun could use a bit more weight to it
anyhow. Any idea as to what sort of silver solder one would use? Would
it be the type with high silver content or the lower temp "silver
bearing" solder (5 or 10% silver, IIRC) stuff? Dosen't seem to me that
the joint would be highly stressed.

Is there any concern for causing the barrel to warp from the heat or
compromising the heat treatment of the barrel?

While I would not be overly distressed if this gun did not come out so
well (very little money involved), I'm not really in a hurry to wreck
it, either. I also don't want to end up with a gun that blows up when
you shoot it, been there & done that, no injuries but didn't like it.

just trying to get a little guidance, so I don't run into this
half-cocked. (pun not intended, but acknowledged and left in anyhow...)

Thanks again for any help.

-AL A.