Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
F. George McDuffee

Default Beginner's Lathe Projects

Part of owning your own lathe is making stuff the way you
want/need it.

Get a bunch of tool catalogs and old machining books and scan
these for ideas.

Make the tools you want such as a rear mounted cut-off tool
holder, pump-staff for centering/locating parts on
faceplates/chucks, die holders for threading, quick change tool
holders.

Home Shop Machinist and Machinist Workbench magazines are also
good. see http://www.homeshopmachinist.net/ a little pricy but
worth the cost.

see http://www.krfcompany.com/overview.html

I find lindsay's reprint books to be a goldmine of information.
see http://www.lindsaybks.com/

see some of the student machining projects from college on my
website at
http://www.mcduffee-associates.us/ma...aftmachine.htm

All three of Lautard's books are very good. I am anticipating
the 4th. see http://lautard.com/books.htm

Uncle George
On 28 Nov 2005 09:40:56 -0800, "fatpie"
wrote:

I'm wondering if anyone can point me to a site that has diagrams,
castings etc for beginner's lathe projects. My dad's bought a lathe,
but we don't have anything to make on it yet. I would be interested in
projects not requiring castings, or sites that sells fairly cheap
beginner to intermediate unmachined castings and diagrams (my dad was
an engineer, and I've used a lathe a small amount at school, so we're
not absolute beginners).