Posted to alt.home.repair
JerryD\(upstateNY\)

Default How long does a bag of wood stove pellet last?

At the current price of about $200/ton, wood pellets are about half the
cost per BTU compared to propane or fuel oil. Natural gas is still
cheaper, but that could change if the price surges this Winter.

All wood gives off about the same amount of heat PER POUND.
Last year a face chord of firewood was about $50.00 to $60.00.
A ton of pellets was $180.00.
A face chord of wood weighs about 1000 pounds so 2 face chord weigh about
the same as a ton of pellets.
So wood is 2/3 the cost of pellets for the same amount of heat.
In the advertisements they show a smiling guy emptying a bag of pellets into
the stove like the last time he did it was a week ago.
I can burn 150 pounds of wood per day when it is cold out.
That's almost four 40 pound bags PER DAY.
Either way, it's a lot of work.
I think getting one of those ventless heaters is the way to go.
We use one when it is 35º or more outside because the wood stove would make
it too hot in the house.
They are not recommended for heating your house, just supplemental heat.
We have no problem with moisture, running it.
--
JerryD(upstateNY)