Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett

Default Combi Boiler Pressure Drop

On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 11:20:28 +0000, me9 wrote:

On 19 Nov,
(Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

The filling loop must be disconnected when not being used. This is to
prevent any remote chance of the radiator water getting back into the fresh
water supply. I can't see clearly in the photo, but the supply end should
have a tap and the heating end should have a one-way valve to prevent water
coming back out.

It must be one of a few that comply. Most seem to leave the filling hose
connected. There appears to be a tap on the right of the photo , over which
the hose iis draped. It looks as if the filling point and supply are capped
with brass compression stop ends.

More likely 1/2" BSP brass caps.
This year a boiler I had installed was inspected and was told that I had
left the filling loop connected. I was sent a letter telling me to go and
disconnect it.

I disagree that the best practice is to disconnect the loop, but that's
what our lords and masters require, eh. A small quantity of water
dribbles out of the loop after disconnection (OK so you can use a cloth to
catch it). Also a small amount of air is introduced into the system when
it's reused. Also dust caps are not supplied with most filling
loops so these have either to be supplied or the possibility of 'foreign'
matter getting in has to be endured.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at
http://www.diyfaq.org.uk