Neil Jowsey

Default Going rate for block paving ?

(StealthUK) wrote in
om:

If upon breaking the concrete you find a proper sub-base already in
place then this will make a big diff to the amount of labour and
materials involved and subsequently the price.

I'd be surprised if after scraping up the concrete there'd be a thick
enough sub-base. The finised height may also be too high (depending on the
blocks used) eg 2" sand + 2" blocks may be above the existing drive level.
This may mean taking up more of the existing sub-base to get the correct
level. Not good.

I did my own drive a couple of years ago 80 m^2. 6 inches of sub-base, 2"
sand, 2" blocks so ended up digging down 10 inches. It may be a bit OTT,
but I can say it's not sunk a mm anywhere. I can't recommend
www.pavingexpert.com higly enough!

Just look out for cowboys who skimp on the sub-base, it literally is the
key to the whole thing. To get it done properly is not cheap I filled 6-7
skips digging down 13 inches (I lowered the drive by one course of bricks
well!) that was ~£800 on it's own.

N.