Lobster

Default Clearing blocked toilet with caustic soda

Andy Hall wrote in message . ..
On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 00:01:11 +0100, Timothy Murphy
wrote:

My first-floor toilet is blocked, as far as I can see
just after the U-bend.

My local plumbers merchant gave me a jar of sodium hydroxide,
and told me this was as good as anything.
The label on the container warns me to follow the instructions carefully,
but unfortunately the instructions are missing.
Can I safely pour some down the toilet?
Do I have to ensure it will get round the U-bend?

Any advice or suggestions gratefully received.

You may be better off removing the pan, taking it outside and cleaning
it with a pressure washer or something similar.

Depending on the obstruction, caustic soda may not be all that
effective anyway.

I was about to say, surely it's got to be worth a go with it first,
rather than removing the pan without trying? But I suppose if it
doesn't work, and stays 100% blocked, then when he does have to take
the pan off, then he's left with all that caustic liquid slopping
about - not fun. Does the OP have a clue what's causing the blockage?

OP - for what it's worth, the instructions on my pack of caustic soda
for cleaning a drain (in pellet form) read "wear suitable gloves/eye
protection add 100g to 1 litre cold water in a bucket, stir constantly
til completely dissolved, carefully pour entire solution down drain.
Leave for 30 mins and then use plunger."

It also points out never to add water to caustic soda, always the
other way round, and notes that solution will heat up when dissolving.

In the light of what another poster mentioned (using sulphuric acid)
I'd also add, for heaven's sake don't mix it with any other
cleaners/unblockers (esp sulphuric acid) as the results could be
nasty!!).

If you do use it, I'd certainly leave it longer than 30 mins though.
Overnight probably. It would be worth removing as much water from the
loo bowl as you can first, to avoid unnecessary dilution of the
caustic soda.

hth
David