Brian Reay

Default home-made shutters

"EN" wrote in message
Could all you creative minds out there help me make some internal window
shutters? The drafty windows are set in 2ft thick stone walls and are all
sorts of shapes and sizes. I would like them to be solid not louvred, in
keeping with the old look of the house. I really can't spend much on them
though, and while my joinery skills/ tools might be fairly basic, I've
done
wonders making cupboard doors and boxing in open plan stairs with left
over
laminate floor boards so don't mind trying to make cheap rubbish look ok.
was wondering about using those mdf vertical panelling sheets as I quite
like that look. Or just plain panels of mdf/ cheap wood would maybe be
cheapest - or.........???

Any thoughts, ideas and experiences would be great. Thanks.

I'd be tempted to make a "frame" that is fixed to the window reveals, so
that you have a nice regular area to cover with doors. Then try an use some
of the cheapish pre-made doors from one of the diy sheds (eg B&Q or Wickes).
Not the cheapest solution but, if your skills aren't that good, maybe the
best.

Have you considered shutters outside- something a little "rustic" doesn't
look so bad on the outside of an old house. Plus you don't loose window
sills etc.

--
73
Brian, G8OSN