The Natural Philosopher

Default Fitting a dimmer switch to a floor lamp - No Earth

wrote:

Does this lamp have a low voltage halogen bulb in it?

The buzzing noise, flickering and final bang symptoms suggest that the
lamp has (or had) a built in transformer or power supply unit that is
unsuitable for dimming.

How do I do this properly without the above problems?

If you have such a fitting then you would need to replace the power
supply unit with one that can be dimmed.

Yes it is a halogen floor stander, with 10 flexible arms each with a
halogen bulb at the end of it.

So from what you are saying I will actually have to change the internal
workings/power supply of the lamp, in order to get it to work and its
nothing to do with earth or a crap dimmer switch?

Is it a low voltage array?