Howard Eisenhauer

Default Safe distance to watch arc welding

Les. here's my free advice(& you know what that's worth )-

The problem ain't how bright the visible light is. If the visible
light is too bright you'll naturally move back to a distance where it
doesn't bother you. The problem is the UV that's generated, your eye
has no way of detecting dangerous levels so you can get a "burn level"
dose & not know about it until the pain starts up hours later. IIRC
the UV is actuually burning the cornea, not the retina, which is why
people get the "gritty eye" pain instead of just going blind. Also
IIRC prolonged exposure leads to cataracts.

UV does , above & beyond cubed root losses, attenuate with distance
through air but I have no idea what the factor is .

My recommendations a

a. If your going to watch anyhow wear a pair of good quality UV
blocker sunglasses. If you get a sunburn you're too close (don't ask
me how I know )

b. Ask this question on sci.engr.joining.welding, I can absoulutely
guarentee you'll get the real skinny there.

H.

On 28 Oct 2005 08:18:04 -0700, "Les"
wrote:

Is there any rule of thumb on how close I can be and still safely watch
(not a casual glance) arc welding without any eye protection? Does
this distance vary by amperage or type (stick, wire, TIG, etc.)?

- les