Duane Bozarth

Default Insulating Underground Pipes

Both the hot water heater and the natural gas boiler are in the garage.

... about 30 feet from the house to the garage.

Note: The house was built in the 1940's. In addition to fixing the
pipes, my Aunt is also insulating the house's ceilings and walls.

I would strongly suggest at least investigating updating the heating
system and water heater at the same time as doing the insulation job
instead.

An old boiler will have very poor efficiency compared to a new unit even
w/o the remote location. Ditto for the water heater. She may well pay
for the extensive renovations in a very short time...