Gunner

Default Homemade Carbide Lathe Toolholder

On 20 Oct 2005 20:03:35 -0700, "woodworker88"
wrote:

I just made my own lathe toolholder for indexable carbide inserts out
of a perfectly sized piece of aluminum I had lying around. I matched
the height of the cutter to a regular toolholder I have. I filed the
recess for the carbide and drilled and tapped the 4-40 hole for the
screw that secures the carbide. I copied the rough dimensions off of
some other tools I have seen and a carbide tooholder for a Amaco brake
lathe. My main question is what is the acceptable overhang of the
carbide over the toolholder. I know the carbide is brittle, and as I
was generously given the carbide inserts I really don't want to break
them. The current overhang is about 3/32" of an inch, but the one I
was copying from had less than 1/16" The brake lathe is designed for
ultimate rigidity, and I don't need quite that much accuracy, but I
don't want to be snapping carbides either.
Thanks,
Woodworker88 and the Los Altos High School Robotics Team #114
www.lahsrobotics.org

You should have none of the bottom of the insert overhanging. It
should be completly supported.

That being said...try to keep overhang as absolutly small as possible.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner