Jeff Wisnia

Default Brass discoloration? ? ?

Ray wrote:
My cleaning lady cleaned a very old and lovely brass lamp that belonged to
my mother. Whatever she did, it looked fine at first, but now green stuff
is gathered in the creases of the embossing. In one or two places, it is
starting to turn black. I managed to rub away most of the black and some of
the green with a toothbrush, but not all, and it is tedious.

So are most cleaning ladies....

Any ideas welcome. Would vinegar and salt help?

You didn't say whether you want it to look "bright and shiny" or
"antiqued". If you want the former, then you'll have to get it spray
lacquered after its polished, or learn how to lacquer it yourself.

If you're willing to settle for it turning darker with age then yes,
vinegar and salt will help take off whatever's eating away at it now,
but make sure you wash it off quite well when you're through cleaning it.

HTH,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia